Lieutenant-General Sir Henry Pownall, who arrived in Singapore on 23 December 1941 as the incoming Commander-in-Chief Far East, felt that Percival did not make a good field commander. But both men missed the point that it was the poor British training systems that contributed to the dearth of talent in high command and manifested itself in the rapid turnover of wartime brigade and divisional commanders in Malaya.



Madam Kwa Geok Choo, the wife of Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew and mother of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, the two married secretly on 23 December 1947. She had just turned 27, and he was 24. When they returned to Singapore in 1950, they tied the knot again, this time with their parents' full knowledge. At Raffles Institution, she caught the attention of a young Lee Kuan Yew when she gave him unexpectedly stiff competition for a Queen's Scholarship. Their relationship grew through the years of Japanese Occupation, and by September 1944, love had blossomed.



The Singapore Army was established by the Singapore Army Act as a full-time army responsible for the nation’s defence. The Singapore Army Bill was passed in parliament on 23 December 1965.



Sixty-nine wards were up for contestation for the General Election held on 23 December 1976. There were 124 candidates from seven political parties vied for 53 seats. For the third time, the People's Action Party won all the seats.



The General Election was held on 23 December 1980. Almost half the number of seats were uncontested in this GE and PAP was one seat away to forming the government on nomination day. People's Action Party was returned to power, winning all 75 seats with 75.55 percent of the vote. The issues of concern to PAP were continuity and consolidation, whereas the opposition parties were concerned over democracy, or rather, having an opposition in the Parliament, rights to minority and care for the poor.




The Singapore Flyer is a giant Ferris wheel in Singapore. Described by its operators as an observation wheel, it opened in 2008. On 23 December 2008, the wheel stopped and trapped 173 passengers for about six hours. The breakdown was caused by a short circuit and fire in the Flyer's wheel control room, which cut off the air-conditioning in the wheel. Eleven passengers were evacuated via a sling-like device from a few of the capsules, and those stranded were given food and drink. The wheel restarted nearly seven hours after it had stopped and two people were hospitalized. The Flyer was closed indefinitely and an investigation into the cause of the malfunction was launched. The wheel re-opened on 26 January 2009 after the Singapore Police received the final safety certification report from the Conformity Assessment Board.