Television Singapura was launched as a pilot monochrome service on 15 February 1963. On 2 April 1963, less than two months after the inauguration of the pilot service, the regular service (Channel 5) was established with extended hours of transmission. On 23 November 1963, a second channel (Channel 8) was introduced and hours of transmission were further extended.



Yusof Ishak stayed in office till his death on 23 November 1970, during his third term in office (National Library Board, 2006). He died of heart failure at the General Hospital, having been admitted on the night of 21 November 1970 after a recurrence of respiratory and heart problems. At the time of his death, he had been in office for more than 10 years. The first term of office was as Head of State under colonial rule; the second and third were as President of Singapore. Thousands of people turned up when the leaders of Singapore escorted the body of the President through the city streets and did not move away even when it began to rain midway through the 90-minute foot procession. This was a testament to Yusof Ishak’s dedication as a man of the people. He was buried with full State honours at Kranji National Cemetery.



Barings, founded in 1762, was the oldest merchant bank in Britain before its collapse in 1995. The 233-year-old bank was brought down single-handedly by its employee, Nick Leeson - a derivatives trader. After landing the bank with a debt of S$1.4 billion, Leeson fled for Malaysia. By the time of the collapse, the banks accumulated losses amounted to S$2.2 billion. On 23 November 1995, Leeson was extradited to Singapore. Leeson pleaded guilty to two charges and was sentenced to six-and-a-half years in prison in Singapore.




The Singapore Discovery Centre was officially opened by his excellency, President Ong Teng Cheong, on 23 November 1996 with the presence of Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Defence, Dr Tony Tan. In 1998, SDC started a review of the Centre to change from a historical to an issue-based orientation.