Nagore Durgha Shrine is located at 140 Telok Ayer Street, in 1827, a piece of land at the corner of Telok Ayer Street and Boon Tat Street was granted to a man named Kaderpillai, on condition that it not be used for a wood or attap building. Lease 325 (Survey No. 7453) was issued for 99 years from 1 October 1827. One of the earliest houses of worship in Singapore, the Nagore Durgha Shrine was built of brick and plaster and completed in 1830. It is said that the shrine was built by brothers Mohammed and Haja Mohideen as a memorial to a holy man, Shahul Hamid of Nagore in southern India.

G.D. Coleman was the architect of the Church of St Andrew (St Andrew's Cathedral). It opened for services on 1 October 1834 and it was consecrated on 6 October 1834 by the Bishop of Calcutta. A spire was added by J.T.Thomson in 1842 because the Church looked like a Town Hall, College or Assembly Room.


The Singapore Free Press, Singapore's second English language newspaper after the Singapore Chronicle, was published for the first time on 1 October 1835. Launched by William Napier with co-founders G.D. Coleman, Edward Boustead and Walter Scott Lorrain, the Singapore Free Press remained in circulation until 1869. It was revived in 1884 by Charles Buckley, bought over by The Straits Times in 1946 and merged with The Malay Mail in 1962.


On 1 October 1924, Kandang Kerbau Hospital was opened with 30 beds and 12 children’s cots. The hospital was led by Professor J S English, Singapore’s first Professor of O&G. On that momentous day, five babies were born – three Malays, one Chinese and a Japanese. In those days, maternal and infant mortality rates were high. The hospital’s mission then was to provide good maternity care and midwifery training for medical students and pupil midwives to bring the mortality rates down.


United Overseas Bank site marked the beginnings of one of Singapore’s largest banks. Founded on 6 August 1935, it was known as the United Chinese Bank. Open for business on 1 October 1935 in Bonham Building, it became the United Overseas Bank in 1965. The 30-storeyed UOB Building was officially opened on 19 October 1974 before the twin-tower UOB Plaza was officially opened in 1995.


When the Toa Payoh Town Centre Bus terminus opened on 1 October 1971, all of its Toa Payoh Services clustered in 3 terminals were called to the new bus terminus located at the town cenre.


In April 1971 the Malaysian Deputy Prime Minister announced the formation of Malaysian Airline System or MAS. Following this, on 30 June 1972, it was announced that Singapore would have its own airline, to be called Singapore Airlines or SIA. On 1 October 1972, Malaysia Singapore Airlines or MSA ceased to exist and in its place emerged two new flag carriers, SIA and MAS.


The Singapore Sports Council (SSC) was formed on 1 October 1973 with the merger of the National Sports Promotion Board (NSPB) and the National Stadium Corporation (NSC).


The Singapore Institute of Standards and Industrial Research (SISIR) was originally established in 1963 as the Industrial Research Unit within the Economic Development Board. This unit was later renamed SISIR in 1969 and tasked with promoting quality consciousness among local manufacturers as well as serving as a technical and consultancy agency. On 1 October 1973, SISIR became an independent statutory board and it continued to evolve to meet the changing needs of the manufacturing sector. However, in April 1996, SISIR merged with the National Productivity Board (NPB) to form the Singapore Productivity and Standards Board (PSB).


Dato' Tay Siew Lee, Jannie nee Chan (Dr), managing director of The Hour Glass, voted one of the top 50 Women Entrepreneurs of the World in 1997 and the first female President of the Asean Business Forum and the Singapore Retailers Association. Tay had always dreamt of owning a luxury watch boutique. On 1 October 1979, she and her husband started The Hour Glass with Metro Holdings. The shop was set up in Lucky Plaza and specialised in Swiss watches. With $200,000 expenditure on its furnishing, it projected a classy image for her customers. Under her directorship, The Hour Glass expanded to nine local outlets and six overseas outlets, namely Hongkong, Taipei, Australia, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand. Later, she diversified her business and went into property investments, restaurant business, jewellery and antique arts collection.


The Victoria Memorial Hall was renovated in the late 1970s to serve as a concert hall, with its seating capacity increased by the addition of a gallery. This major undertaking was related to the formation of the Singapore Symphony Orchestra in the same period, and the two came together in a glittering occasion, the first concert, re-opened as Victoria Concert Hall, in the presence of Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew, on 1 October 1980.