Tan Che Sang was one of the earliest merchants from Malacca to come to Singapore when Raffles set up a British settlement in Singapore in 1819. He was a tycoon but was addicted to gambling. His importance was evidenced by a large turn-out at his funeral. Tan bought a warehouse from Farquhar, the Resident or Singapore then, and became an agent for early Chinese junks. Farquhar had built this warehouse with a detached house across from his Residency. Located at High Street, the site of the warehouse comprised an area of 51,558 sq. ft. and is part of the High Street Centre Building. Later under Raffles resettlement plan of 1822-23, Tan removed his warehouse to Commercial Square (later known as Raffles Place), but kept this High Street site until his death in 1836. Tan was issued a title, lease No. 298, on 11 June 1827 for this High Street site. On his death, he willed that this site be reserved permanently for ancestral heritage purpose and not to be redeemed for money. In 1880 though, the Court ruled otherwise.




The Fullerton Building (now The Fullerton Hotel) and Fullerton Square sits on land where once stood Fort Fullerton which guarded the mouth of the Singapore River. Serious development of the area began with Captain George Chancellor Collyer's sea wall from Fort Fullerton to Telok Ayer Market, built from 1858 to 1864, and Collyer Quay was named after him. Most of Fort Fullerton was demolished by 11 June 1873. On the site by Cavenagh Bridge and the river, the Exchange Building opened in 1879. The opening of Anderson Bridge in 1910, connected Collyer Quay, and was an alternative access into the heart of town. These developments in the area, may have led to the demolition of the Exchange Building at end 1923, or early 1924, and, a bigger structure was planned to fit into the new environment. In 1925, the "Tan Kim Seng Fountain (1882)" at its original location in Fullerton Square was moved to the Esplanade, while a new building was being constructed.



On 11 June 1877, a total of 22 rubber seedlings from the Kew Gardens in England were sent to the Botanic Gardens in Singapore. Of the 22 seedlings, nine found their way to Kuala Kangsar, Perak, 11 were sown in the Botanic Gardens of Singapore, and the remaining two were probably planted in Malacca. This consignment of 22 seedlings was, however, not the first attempt at propagating rubber in Singapore; in the previous year, all the 50 seedlings that were sent from Kew perished on their journey to Singapore. At the time, rubber was not popular with planters as their money and attention were invested in more profitable crops, particularly tapioca, gambier, pepper, sugar and coffee. Besides, little was known of rubber planting and many planters were reluctant to take the risk of planting a crop that would require about six years to reach maturity.


(Source: http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/history/events/



The Singapore-Johor Causeway is a road and rail link that connects Woodlands at the northern part of Singapore to Johor Bahru at the southern tip of the Malay Peninsula. Opened by then Governor of the Straits Settlements Laurence Nunns Guillemard, the Causeway was built to handle cross-straits traffic, which had been growing rapidly since the Malayan states became major producers of agricultural goods such as rubber, tin and gambier in the late 19th century, while Singapore served as a trading port specialising in the export of these commodities. Despite the construction difficulties, the Causeway was completed on 11 June 1924, three months ahead of schedule. It had been opened to trains from 17 September 1923 and passengers from 1 October 1923.