The Cathedral of the Good Shepherd, stands at the junction of Queen Street and Bras Basah Road. It is the earliest Catholic church in Singapore and is today the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese and Archbishop. In February 1843, a dynamic French priest, Rev. Fr. Jean-Marie Beurel managed to convince the colonial government to provide the Catholic Mission with a plot of land diagonally opposite, at the corner of Queen Street and Bras Basah Road. Father Beurel who had helped set up the early classes at the Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus, was also instrumental in establishing this, the earliest Catholic Church. He blessed the church on 6 June 1846. The foundation stone for the Cathedral was laid on 18 June 1843 and construction was completed by 1847.



Mount Sophia was originally named Bukit Seligi or Seligi Hill. Mount Sophia was one of the earliest middle-class residential districts. It was home to prominent businessman Eu Tong Sen and others were listed as the hills residents in 1842. In the early 1880s, the hill boasted of grand houses. On 6 June 1885, the Children's Home opened in Sophia Road.



The Overseas Chinese Association was formed in March 1942 during the Japanese occupation of Singapore. The association was formed at the direction of the Japanese military authorities to mediate between the authorities and the local Chinese community. However, at the outset, the Japanese military authorities used it to extract a $50 million donation ($10 million from the Chinese in Singapore and $40 million from the Chinese in the rest of Malaya) from the Chinese community in Malaya. It was extremely difficult to raise $50 million from the market. After extending the deadline twice, to improve the fund raising mechanism, the formation of OCA in every Malayan state. On 6 June 1942, the Malayan Overseas Chinese General Association was formed, and it consisted the Singapore and Malayan states OCAs. Despite three extensions, only $28 million were raised by 20 June. Eventually, the association was allowed to take a $22 million collateralised loan from Yokohama Specie Bank at six per cent interest. On 25 June 1942 the $50 million cheque was presented to General Yamashita.



The British forces returned in September 1945 and Singapore came under the British Military Administration. When the period of military administration ended in March 1946, the Straits Settlements was dissolved. On 1 April 1946, Singapore became a Crown Colony. Penang and Malacca became part of the Malayan Union in 1946, and later the Federation of Malaya in 1948. Singapore's first election was held on 20 March 1948. The 1955 election was the first lively political contest in Singapore's history. Automatic registration expanded the register of voters from 75,000 to over 300,000, and for the first time, it included large numbers of Chinese, who had manifested political apathy in previous elections. The Labor Front won 10 seats. The Peoples Action Party (PAP), which fielded four candidates, won three seats. David Marshall became Singapore's first Chief Minister on 6 April 1955, with a coalition government made up of his own Labor Front, the United Malays National Organization and the Malayan Chinese Association. However, on 6 June 1956, Marshall resigned because of his disappointment with the breakdown of constitutional talks in London; he had not managed to attain full internal self-government.



For about a week in early June 1990, Singaporeans were captivated by media reports of runaway elephants on Pulau Tekong. This was the first time that elephants had been known to swim across the Johor Straits onto Tekong in recent history. The island is used by the Singapore Armed Forces for military training. The relevant Malaysian wildlife authorities arrived on Tekong island on 6 June 1990 under police escort. This was because they had brought with them their lorries and trained or monitor elephants to help in the relocation process. With the collaboration and co-operation of the Singapore and Malaysian governments, the Singapore Zoo and Malaysian wildlife authorities and the Tekong army personnel, the bull elephants were captured on 7 June 1990.



The new Sentosa Fire Station – the Singapore Civil Defence Force's (SCDF) 21st fire station – located at 37 Artillery Avenue started operations at 8am on Monday morning 6 June 2016.