Sri Senpaga Vinayagar Temple, situated on Ceylon Road, was established in the mid-19th century by the Ceylonese Tamils from Sri Lanka. Built on the architectural lines that was favoured in the ancient Chola kingdom of India, this temple is the second-oldest Hindu temple in Singapore. The work of constructing the temple was taken up by the temple's management committee formed by community members elected at the 1923 Annual General Meeting of the Singapore Ceylon Tamils Association. The committee, headed by S. Muthucumaru who bore the cost of constructing the main shrine area or the moolasthanam, appointed a few people including Pillay to raise funds for the temple construction. When building construction plans were finalised by May 1926, the Chief Sculptor was invited from Ceylon to begin his work. On 3 February 1930, a consecration ceremony (Maha Kumbhabishegam) was held to mark the completion of the temple.



From 3 February 1942 the British Army were shelled by Japanese artillery. Japanese air attacks on Singapore intensified over the next five days. Air and artillery bombardment intensified, severely disrupting communications between Allied units and their commanders and affecting preparations for the defence of the Singapore island.




On 11 May 1934, a group of PWD (Public Works Department) employees playing in a cricket team called the “Non-Descript” formed the PWD Sports Club. The Sports Club was located at Kolam Ayer, and the clubhouse then was a thatched-roof building. The activities of the Sports Club were disrupted during the Japanese Occupation of Singapore, and it was not until 3 November 1947 that the Club was revived. The Club was formally registered in 1948. An interim committee with Mr. W G Steward as President was formed to administer the affair of the Club until the Management Committee was formed after the First Annual General Meeting held on 14 January 1949. One of the first tasks of the Management Committee was to apply the Registrar of Societies for re-exemption from the Societies Ordinance. The application was approved on 3 February 1949 and its name “PWD Sports Club” was entered into the Register of Exempted Societies. Today it is known as the PWD-BCA Club.



The first Straits Times strike arose from a dispute over the terms of reinstatement of a dismissed worker. The strike was considered illegal as no prior notice was given as required by law, and the Straits Times management dismissed the workers who took part in the walkout. The workers on realizing that their action was illegal agreed to return to work but were locked out of their workplace. On Chinese New Year's Eve, 3 February 1954, when a worker pestered two other workers to stop work early, the management took action and dismissed the worker, who was an official of the Singapore Printing Employees' Union. Although the management later agreed to reinstate the worker, there was a dispute over the terms of reinstatement. This resulted in 200 printing employees going on strike without giving the two-week notice as required under the Emergency laws.