The Temenggong, a vassal of Sultan Hussein, was consulted and a provisional treaty was agreed upon. Thereafter, the British flag was planted upon Singapore shores, troops dispatched and instructions left for a fort to be built at Fort Canning Hill. Tungku Long (Sultan Hussein) arrived in Singapore on 1 February 1819 from Riau, whereupon they agreed on a treaty on 6 February before Raffles departed on 7 February leaving Farquhar in-charge of the infant settlement.



Lieutenant Philip Jackson had begun surveying Singapore in 1822 after being appointed Assistant Engineer by Raffles. Raffles, who had returned to Singapore in October 1822, after a three year absence, was not at all happy with the settlement’s haphazard growth, his main grievance being that his instructions to reserve land on the north bank of the Singapore River exclusively for the government had not been followed. To set matters aright Raffles formed a Town Committee and on 4th November issued a detailed list of instructions covering every aspect of Singapore’s future development. By 1823, Jackson had drawn up a general plan of the town based on his interpretation of Raffles’ instruction to the Town Committee. Throughout this period, Jackson was executive engineer of what we would now call the Public Works Department. Jackson was appointed Surveyor to the Settlement on 1 February 1826 at a salary of Rs. 300 per month to survey lands, register grants and transfers; but resigned the appointment in 1827 owing to ill health.



Sir Cecil Clementi Smith became the Honorary Colonel of the new Singapore Volunteer Artillery on 1 February 1890 until his death on 7 February 1946.



The Duke and Duchess of Connaught arrive at 10:00 am on 1 February 1907 at Johnston's Pier landing platform.



In Nov 1943, the British Government announced total prohibition of opium (import, export, possession, sale or purchase) would replace its policy of gradual suppression of opium in enemy occupied territories in the Far East after the War. The Opium and Chandu Proclamation, enacted on 1 February 1946 called on those in possession of opium, chandu, pipes, lamps or utensils to surrender them. This prohibition could not stop the craving of those pre-war registered addicts and those who had acquired the habit during the Japanese Occupation. Traffickers quickly saw a golden opportunity to make fortunes when the addicts went underground. Communications were reestablished with sources of supply and the highly profitable of the smuggling of the drug was resuscitated.




HDB was set up on 1 February 1960, during a housing crisis. At that time, many were living in unhygienic slums and crowded squatter settlements. Only 9 percent of Singaporean's lived in government flats.