On 29 January 1819, Raffles came to the island of Singapore with William Farquhar. They landed by a river in Singapore saw some Malay and Chinese settlers and Orang Laut living on the island. They walked around the island and came to the Temenggong’s house. The Temenggong was the chief of the island. He invited Raffles into this house. Raffles was able to speak Malay. He asked the Temenggong for permission to set up a British Trading settlement in Singapore. The Temenggong was willing but had no power to give Raffles the permission. Singapore belonged to the Sultan of Johor. Only the Sultan could grant Raffles the permission. Raffles then had a discussion with the Temenggong. Finally, they decided to seek Tengku Hussein, the elder brother of the Sultan of Johor for help. Controversy has arisen from Raffles' own mistake in recording the date of the first landing as 29 February 1819 in his "Statement of the Services of Sir Stamford Raffles", a date which did not exist as 1819 was not a leap year. Munshi Abdullah however records that it was only Farquhar who first landed on 29 January 1819 and excludes the presence of Raffles. The controversy is discussed by C. A. Gibson-Hill in the article "The Date of Munshi Abdullah's first visit to Singapore" found in 150th Anniversary of the Founding of Singapore. Gibson-Hill concurs that Raffles may have remained onboard the Indiana, sleeping, during that first visit to Singapore.


Singapore experienced one of its worst disasters during the evening of 29 January 1983, when the cableway of the Sentosa cable-car system was struck by the derrick of the drillship Eniwetok as it was undocking from a wharf at the nearby Keppel Harbour. The impact of the collision dislodged two of the 15 cable cars, which were travelling on the cableway at the time, and caused them to plunge into the sea below. One of the cars was empty, but the five passengers in the other car were killed. Of the remaining 13 cars, one oscillated so violently that three of its seven passengers were thrown out. Two perished, but the third, a toddler, survived the ordeal. Altogether, there were 13 people trapped in four cars – two cars over land and two over water – between Mount Faber and Sentosa.


On 29 January 2007, the Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority (AVA) of Singapore has instructed traders to comply with labelling requirements. This follows reports that oil fish is being touted and sold as cod fish. If not prepared properly or eaten in large quantities, fish oil could cause diarrhoea in some consumers. AVA says traders should correctly label the fish so that consumers can identify it. Under its Sale of Food Act, it is an offence to sell food products which do not comply with labelling requirements. If convicted, a person can be fined up to S$5,000.



The S$70 million Sentosa Boardwalk, designed by Aedas, includes themed gardens, shops and eateries. There are covered walkways and travellators along the boardwalk for rainy days. The Boardwalk, officially opened by Singapore's Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean on 29 January 2011, provides visitors with an alternative mode of travel to reach the island.