The earliest Chinese banks in Singapore were started by the Cantonese and Teochew communities. The Cantonese opened the Kwong Yik Bank in 1903, which was the first Chinese bank to be established in Singapore, but it closed 10 years later. The Teochews set up the Sze Hai Tong Banking & Insurance Company Limited  on 7 January 1907, with banking as its core business.




Methodism in Singapore began in early 1885, after the arrival of the Reverend William Fitzjones Oldham who became the first resident Methodist missionary. The first worship services were held at the Town Hall (today's Victoria Memorial Hall) and the Christian Institute (at the corner of Waterloo Street and Middle Road, the building still stands today!) until December 1885. This English Church, as it was then called, had its first chapel at Coleman Street, which was dedicated on 15 December 1886. The congregation expanded over the years, and in 1907, Singapore Government granted a 3,530 sq m site at Fort Canning for a new Church. The first worship service at this new Methodist Episcopal Church was held on Christmas Day 1908, and on 4 February 1909, it was dedicated by its Singapore founder, the Reverend Oldham, now Bishop William F. Oldham. On 7 January 1910, the church was renamed Wesley Methodist Church after John Wesley, the founder of Methodism.



Eu Tong Sen was a leading businessman in Malaya, Singapore and Hong Kong during the late 19th and early 20th century. By the late 1920s, the most profitable part of the Eu Yan Sang medicine shop business was in remittances and not medicines. Eu moved from Singapore to Hong Kong in 1928. On 7 January 1932, he formed Eu Tong Sen Limited in Singapore but controlled it from Hong Kong where his remittance business was showing the best potential.



At 4 am (Singapore time) on 31 December 1999, four members of the Antarctica 2000 team (Khoo Swee Chiow, Robert Goh Ee Kiat, David Lim Chee Wai and Ang Yau Choon) successfully reached the South Pole after an arduous 1,125-kilometre trek that had taken nearly two months to complete. A week later, at about 6.20 am on 7 January 2000, the remaining four members of the team achieved summit success on the 4,897-metre-high Mount Vinson Massif, the highest peak in Antarctica.